Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Psalm 139: 13

For it was you who formed my inward parts; you knit me together in my mother's womb. Psalm 139: 13 NRSV


I am adopted. I don't know what the circumstances of my conception were, but I have had several indications that it was not a happy story. This all happened in the late sixties when abortion was an option. If it was such a horrible experience, I wonder why she chose to give birth to me and give me up for adoption. I may never know the whole story as she is deceased. But because of my own story, this scripture gives me comfort.

I am comforted that God was with me at all times - even from conception! Through birth and adoption! My childhood, my growing up, my adulthood! God was a part of my very beginnings and God continues to be a part of my life even now. No matter the story of my conception, it was God who created me and God who gave me life. God continues to give me life, creating who I am and who I will become. Moment by moment I am being knit together with God's life-giving power and grace.

Your story is different from mine. But your actual beginning has the same Creator behind it and the same Creator still knits your life together even in this moment. Praise God!

God, you have been with us from the beginning and you continue to create in us new life. Thank you - we praise your Holy Name! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment