Monday, August 24, 2009

Here's Your Sign

Then he said to him, "If now I have found favor with you, then show me a sign that it is you who speak with me. Do not depart from here until I come to you, and bring out my present and set it before you." And he said, "I will stay until you return." Judges 6: 17-18 NRSV

Gideon, Gideon, always looking for a sign and needing confirmation or affirmation that God really is who God says and will do what God says God will do.

I mean, just what does Gideon need for proof?

Gideon is saying, "Well, God, I need you to show me a sign besides sending your own angel to come and speak with me about this. I need further proof that it is really you and that you are really with me and you really see me as a mighty warrior."

For Gideon, being visited by the angel of the Lord is not enough. He needs more.

How often does God have to show up through other people in our lives for us to know how much God really loves us?

Do we need more than these seeming coincidences happening all around us as proof that God has a purpose for us?

What more do we need in order to respond: "Yes, God, I will do as you ask me to do."

God, you have sent your messenger, told us of your love, and give us a task. Please remove from us our stubbornness and unbelief. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Question of the day: What sign from God do I think I need today?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment