Saturday, January 2, 2010

Looking Like Your Parent

Reading for Bible in a year: Genesis 5-8

This is the list of the descendants of Adam. When God created humankind, he made them in the likeness of God. Male and female he created them, and he blessed them and named them "Humankind" when they were created. When Adam had lived one hundred thirty years, he became the father of a son in his likeness, according to his image, and named him Seth. Genesis 5: 1-3 NRSV

As an adopted child, I have always been curious about what my blood parents must look like. In looking at my son, I am always intrigued with how much he looks like both of his own parents but especially when he looks just like me. Then, just yesterday, I found out that I look remarkably like my birth mother.

I find it interesting that Adam has a son "in his likeness, according to his image." To me that says that Seth looked just like Adam. After yesterday's discovery, I can really relate!

But what is even more intriguing is how the Bible says that God made all of humankind "in the likeness of God."

We are all made in God's image. This includes both males and females! Perhaps it is sometimes hard to see the resemblance. If we really try, I think we can see God in others as well in ourselves.

Looking like our parents is nice.

Looking like God is even better.

God, you created us in your own likeness. Sometimes we don't look like you and we ask for your forgiveness. Help us to live in such a way that we are without a doubt recognized as your children. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment