Friday, January 1, 2010

Through the Bible in 2010

And God said, "Let there be lights in the dome of the sky to separate the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons and for days and years. Genesis 1:14 NRSV

One year through the Bible reading: Genesis 1-4

Happy New Year!

This year in One Minute Devotional, I continue to offer a one minute devotional each day. I am also adding an additional component for anyone who is interested: reading through the Bible in 2010. This reading should take no more than 15 minutes to complete. This would greatly expand my one minute parameter but will be entirely optional. The daily Bible reading will be a verse or two from that day's reading. For your convenience, I will post the current month's daily readings in a sidebar.

Today's reading reminds us of God's creation of time. Certainly the first day of the New Year is when we often think about time. Many of us see this is a chance to begin anew by making resolutions and new plans. Hence my own goal of reading through the Bible while creating each day's devotional. However, I must admit that my thoughts are more of a selfish nature rather than highly spiritual. It is so much easier to write when I have planned ahead on what scripture I am focusing on!

But beyond my devotional plans, I also find myself focusing on dates and time. I am paying more attention to the dates on food and spices in the pantry and freezer. Have we really kept that bag of pasta in the freezer for an entire year? Is this maple syrup still good when the date reads May of 2008? I am looking at the entire year ahead rather than just the upcoming week. When can I plan a retreat? What will we focus on during Lent? Where will we go for our vacation this summer?

I find that God does not seem to enter my plans when it comes to dates and time. Why is that? Genesis 1:14 clearly attributes our concepts of time - days, seasons, years - to God. Genesis begins with God creating light and dark which became the first day of creation. Time, it seems, is something God-given. As I begin this new time of 2010, perhaps I should include God in my plans for how I will spend my time.

God, we ask that you bless this New Year. We see how you are creator of time and seasons and years and we give you the praise and the glory. May we all follow in your Way during 2010. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment