Sunday, August 23, 2009

What's Your Excuse?

Then the Lord turned to him and said, "Go in this might of yours and deliver Israel from the hand of Midian; I hereby commission you." He responded, "But sir, how can I deliver Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh and I am the least in my family." The Lord said to him, "But I will be with you, and you shall strike down the Midianites, every one of them." Then he said to him, "If now I have found favor with you, then show me a sign that it is you who speak with me." Judges 6: 14-18a NRSV

Are you good at making excuses?

I am. I can make the most elaborate and emotion-laden excuses for either doing or not doing an activity.

But we just can't compete with Gideon. These verses just scratch the surface of excuses Gideon is capable of giving. He reminds me a bit of Moses who keeps trying to throw up roadblocks on the road God is asking him to travel.

First Gideon says he is the least and the weakest of anyone God could choose to carry out this task. God fires back that with God's presence, anything is possible. Then Gideon wants proof that this really is God speaking to him and promising him victory. He will receive that proof in the next few verses.

Makes me wonder how often I try to give excuses for the things that God wants me to do. The problem is that I end up thinking God doesn't really want me to do whatever it is. I convince myself that it is only my imagination or something.

But with God's presence, all things are possible. Why can't I believe it?

God, with you all things are possible, even incredible victories. Help our unbelief! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Question of the day: What's your excuse?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment