Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Whom Shall You Fear?

Then Gideon perceived that it was the angel of the Lord; and Gideon said, "Help me, Lord God! For I have seen the angel of the Lord face to face." But the Lord said to him, "Peace be to you; do not fear, you shall not die...." So Gideon took ten of his servants, and did as the Lord had told him; but because he was too afraid of his family and the townspeople to do it by day, he did it by night. Judges 6: 22 & 27 NRSV

The more I study Gideon, the more I realize that I share some similar traits - more than I would like to!

Gideon finally figures out that it really has been God speaking to him all along through one of God's angels. Now Gideon is worried - not that he has challenged God or not believed what God has told him - but that he has seen God's messenger and now is going to die. After some assurance, he is given instructions on what God wants him to do to destroy his hometown's altar to Baal.

Because Gideon is afraid of his family, he chooses to do this deed at night.

Afraid of his family? This is the same man who has spoken with an angel of the Lord! This is the same man who has been given affirmation by God! This is the same man who has been given a task directly from God!

Yet in carrying out God's will, he wants to do it in secret.

Gideon's fear is very real but he seems to fear the wrong party. It is God he should fear, not his family!

Yet, how many times have I been just like that? I fear the consequences of obeying God because of what others may think of me or do to me.

Why can't I fear the consequences of not obeying God?

God, you ask us to carry out your will in the world but we so often let our fears of the world get in the way. Fill us with courage to carry out your will. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Question of the day: Are you obeying God or other people?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment