Friday, January 30, 2009

Psalm 139:15

My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Psalm 139:15 NRSV [The New Interpreter's Study Bible]

The commentary of my Bible says that the frame this verse refers to is literally our bones, our skeleton. What types of things need a frame? Buildings need to have a frame - whether wooden or steel. Automobiles need a basic frame to hold their shape which used to be metal but now I think is plastic. Term papers do best with a good outline. Sometimes stories need to have an over-arching storyline to hold them together. And we need a good skeleton as our basic building material.

A frame, then seems to be an essential first part of putting something together. The psalmist tells us that our frame is not hidden from God, even before anyone knew we were coming into being. Were we then literally "intricately woven in the depths of the earth?" I think on a subconscious level, I did pick up on a reminder of our death (earth to earth and ashes to ashes) but it wasn't until I had this confirmed by my Bible's commentary did I see the reminder of our mortality. I also recall the story of creation were Adam is created from dirt. Seems like we can't get away from our connection with the earth - but that may be a devotional for another day!

But whether being created in the depths of the earth or lowered into the earth at our death, God sees us and knows us. God knows us at a very basic level even before anyone else. God sees even our gross, ugly insides and our own secrets. God is incredibly intimate with each one of us. Perhaps you don't think of God as being that intimate with you. Perhaps you are more comfortable with the God who is "out there" rather than God who is familiar with all your body parts. The psalm reminds us, however, of God's intimate connection with each one of us.

God, I can't keep any secrets from you. I surrender all of who I am to You and to Your keeping. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment