Thursday, February 5, 2009

Psalm 139:23

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. Psalm 139:23 NRSV

The Message paraphrase uses Law and Order television language in this verse: "investigate my life" and "cross-examine and test me." I love the imagery this produces! It says that we have nothing to hide. But we already understand that God knows all of this already. So why are we asking God to do something God already does anyway?

I think it isn't as much about what God can do but about our surrender of sorts. We now want God to investigate us thoroughly. We are willing for God to take a fine-tooth comb and a magnifying glass into every area of our lives. Our hearts, minds and souls are bared to God's perusal. We don't just know that God knows us. We want God to know us. There is a subtle but important difference.

Just knowing that God sees everything about us can be threatening and rather scary. But to want God to know all there is about us means that we trust God, we are willing to be thoroughly examined and we are working on being all that God wants us to be. We are not afraid of God's punishment but we desire a closer relationship with God. To desire God's cross-examination means that we are that much closer to the God who created and loves us.

God, we love You and we trust You. Look at our minds and hearts, see all in our thoughts and ways. We want to surrender ourselves fully and wholly to You. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment