Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What is Jesus to you?

Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" And they said, "Some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." Matthew 16: 13-16 NRSV

We have been looking at Jesus as a prophet from his point of view, from the viewpoint of the people around him, from the opinions of the religious authorities and what his disciples say about him. Now I want to turn our focus inward to our own hearts and have us answer the question: Who do you say Jesus is?

I know you may have the pat answer that you are "expected" to say. Maybe you could quote a creed or a Bible verse. It would sound really good, anyway. But who is Jesus really to you? Some people say that he is their savior. What does that mean, really? Some people call him their friend...how close is he? Do you see him as a prophet? The Son of Man? A great Judge? Maybe he is someone who sees you as you really are and it scares you.

What is Jesus to you?

God, you know who Jesus is to me. I confess how I really feel about Jesus to You. Guide me in how you want me to see Jesus. In his name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment