Monday, February 9, 2009

Why Jesus as a Prophet Part 1

Why did I want to talk about Jesus as prophet anyway? Well, I was studying the etymology of the word prophet which led me to think about the prophets in the bible. Then, I began to think about people, whether of other religions or Christian, who view Jesus as just a great prophet. In other words, these persons are either overlooking or don't accept the whole incarnational/Jesus as God's Son belief. This has bothered me in the past. But in studying the word prophet and really doing some thinking, I can really see how Jesus was seen and can still be seen as a prophet. Below are some of the prophetic traits with New Testament references followed by an Old Testament reference. This list is not exhaustive in terms of traits or references and I will continue tomorrow.

Jesus healed.

Luke 17:11-19 On the way to Jerusalem Jesus was going through the region between Samaria and Galilee. As he entered a village, ten lepers approached him. Keeping their distance, they called out, saying, "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!" When he saw them, he said to them, "Go and show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were made clean.

2 Kings 5:14
So he went down and immersed himself seven times in the Jordan, according to the word of the man of God; his flesh was restored like the flesh of a young boy, and he was clean.

Jesus preached.

John 6: 38-40
For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. This is indeed the will of my Father, that l who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day."

Isaiah 2:2-4
In days to come the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established as the highest of the mountains, and shall be raised above the hills; all the nations shall stream to it. Many peoples shall come and say, "Come let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, so the house of the God of Jacob; that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths." For out of Zion shall go forth instruction, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

Jesus admonished.
Luke 13:5. No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish just as they did."

Jeremiah 5: 21
Hear this O foolish and senseless people, who have eyes but do not see, who have ears but do not hear. Do you not fear me? says the Lord; Do you not tremble before me?


Open our hearts and minds, Lord, to what you have to say to us today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment