Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Fear of the Lord is....

The book of Proverbs has much to say about the Fear of God. In Proverbs, we find that the fear of the Lord is

...the beginning of knowledge (1:7)
...the hatred of evil (8:13)
...the beginning of wisdom (9:10)
...prolongs life (10:27)
....a fountain of life (14:27)
....better with a little (15:16)
...instruction in wisdom (15:33)
...a way to avoid evil (16:6)
...a way to rest secure and suffer no harm (19:23)
...rewarded by riches, honor and life (22:4)
...a way to be praised (31:30).

Obviously, Proverbs gives several reasons why someone should fear God. Personally, when I look at my life in the past month alone and see the hand of God moving, forming, changing, and challenging me I am overcome by the total awsomeness of God. Is this fear that I feel? It doesn't seem to be and yet there is a healthy respect that goes beyond just trust and love. I know I am a different person today (April 1) than I was on March 1. And it wasn't just because of life experiences but of God's obvious hand in my life that changed me. God has done more than I could ever imagine. My response to God is more than just an "Amen." Maybe there is something to this fear idea after all.

God, you are more than awesome! Your majesty, power, mercy and love are beyond anything we can comprehend. We praise You and give You the glory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment