Sunday, July 5, 2009

Without God

"...Remember that you were at that time without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world."
Ephesians 2: 12 NRSV

Do you remember being an alien, a stranger, having no hope and without God? Although I grew up a baptized Christian, there have been times in my life that I have tried to alienate myself from God. I remember what that feels like and the feeling is pretty empty and without deep meaning. Also, I think I was pretty self-righteous. Okay, so I know I was being self-righteous.

I see similar things in folks who claim to be atheist - they think they have all the answers and are seeing the world in the right way. Hmmm, actually I see that in some Christians as well. Maybe we all tend to make ourselves into aliens and strangers. No matter what our belief system, we can be living without hope and certainly trying our best to live without God.

The thing is, Paul wants the folks at Ephesus to remember what that felt like, especially compared to what they feel like now. We too should spend some time in recalling how it feels to live without hope. Then we can rejoice when we are again filled with Christ's hope.

God, you have made us your children rather than strangers and aliens. Thank you. May we grasp the hope that you have given us in Christ and hold on tight. In His name we pray, Amen.

Question for the day: When in your life have you tried to be a stranger to God?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment