Friday, August 28, 2009

God's Victory

The Lord said to Gideon, "The troops with you are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hand. Israel would only take the credit away from me, saying, 'My own hand has delivered me.'" Judges 7:2 NRSV

Thus begins a gleaning process that rivals any reality television show on the market.

God doesn't want the people to take credit for their victory. So, he finds some ways to eliminate the contestants.

First, anyone who is afraid can go home.

This leaves 10,000.

Next, anyone who used their hands rather than lapping the water like a dog (!) was also dismissed.

This left 300.

A goodly amount to give God the credit.

What things in my life is God eliminating so that I will give God the glory rather than myself? How can I claim God's eliminating tactics as a good thing for my faith? What victory is God wanting to give to me?

God, help us to hold on when you keep eliminating things we see as strengths in our lives. The victory will be yours. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Question of the day: When have you claimed the victory when it should have been God's?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment