Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Going Where God Calls

She sent and summoned Barak son of Abinoam from Kedesh in Naphtali, and said to him, "The Lord, the God of Israel, commands you, 'Go, take position at Mount Tabor, bringing ten thousand from the tribe of Naphtali and the tribe of Zebulun. I will draw out Sisera, the general of Jabin's army, to meet you by the Wadi Kishon with his chariots and his troops; and I will give him into your hand.' " Barak said to her, "If you will go with me, I will go; but if you will not go with me, I will not go." And she said, "I will surely go with you; nevertheless, the road on which you are going will not lead to your glory, for the Lord will sell Sisera into the hand of a woman." Judges 4: 6-9 NRSV

Barak: I don't care who you are, I don't really believe you are a prophetess, I doubt God is speaking through you. You are probably just trying to get rid of me. So, I want you to go with me.

Deborah: Fine, whatever, I will go with you. But just know that your doubt has caused you to lose out on getting the glory in this battle. In fact, because you have doubted the words of a woman, it will be a woman who will defeat Sisera.

God: Sigh. Not sure if I should laugh or cry.

Us: I don't care what you say or how Spirit-filled you seem. I don't believe that God could really do all that. Hold my hand each step of the way - I cannot possibly do as you ask by myself.

Spiritual Leader/Mentor: I will hold your hand. But you are going to lose out on the special things God had in store for you.

God: Sigh. Will they never learn?

God, you are calling us to impossible tasks. We are scared. We want someone to go with us. Our doubts and fears are making us lose out on your favor, aren't they? We aren't sure at this point if we can overcome these but we will give it our best effort. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Question of the day: What is it God is instructing you to do?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment