Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Don't Blame Me

After a while, at the time of the wheat harvest, Samson went to visit his wife, bringing along a kid. He said, "I want to go into my wife's room." But her father would not allow him to go in. Her father said, "I was sure that you had rejected her; so I gave her to your companion. Is not her younger sister prettier than she? Why not take her instead?" Samson said to them,"This time, when I do mischief to the Philistines, I will be without blame." Judges 15: 1- 3 NRSV

At the beginning of Judges, the saving of the people came about through a warrior or leader whose purpose was to help the people and save them from their enemies. Now we will see the defeat of the enemies through a man whose motivation is not for his people but simply because he doesn't get his way. I wanted to say for revenge, but I am not sure that even fits here. Samson himself says he is going to cause mischief. It doesn't even seem like the violence he does is seen as violent or warlike. For Samson, it is just a huge joke.

Samson's main motivation in life is his libido.

Maybe his lack of drink has caused his focus to be on his passion for women. Somehow I have always understood Nazarenes to be more spiritual, prayerful and pure.

What happened to create someone like Samson? I really want to blame his upbringing. Maybe the angel should have told the parents a bit more about what Samson would do when he grew up. Yet, maybe that was the whole purpose - God knew what kind of person Samson would become and how that kind of person would help God's people.

Am I acting on the purest of motivations? Do I do things in the name of Jesus but with a personal agenda? Am I blind to selfish actions I take when I see myself as doing the righteous thing? What is my own main motivation in my life?

God, you have created us and called your creation good. Yet, we are motivated by our own desires rather than yours. Please forgive us and turn us to you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Question of the day: How do you know if your motivations are of God?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment