Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Flawed Protagonist

Once Samson went down to Timnah, and at Timnah he saw a Philistine woman. Then he came up, and told his father and mother, "I saw a Philistine woman at Timnah; now get her for me as my wife." But his father and mother said to him, "Is there not a woman among your kin, or among all our people, that you must go to take a wife from uncircumcised Philistines? But Samson said to his father, "Get her for me, because she pleases me." Judges 14:1-3 NRSV

This is bad on so many levels.

Samson has a weakness for Philistine women which will lead to his own downfall.

Samson has been spoiled by his parents. He may not drink or shave but he knows how to manipulate them into getting want he wants: "...now get her for me as my wife!"

Samson may have also used his strength to get his way as well. There is an unspoken threat in verse 3. It almost reads: "Get her for me, because she pleases me or I will break your neck!"

Samson has not truly accepted his heritage and his faith. He should know that it is against God's will to marry outside of his people. His parents try to point this out to him. However, he only sees what he wants, not the consequences of his actions (and there will be many in this tale). He may be circumcised in the flesh but his heart has not been effected.

In literary terms, Samson would be considered a flawed protagonist.

But aren't we all?

God, we are all flawed. We are often self-centered, manipulative, spoiled and lacking in mature faith. Forgive us we pray. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Question of the day: What flaws do you have in common with Samson?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

1 comment:

  1. Something in common with Samson?! No way! Of all the characters in the Bible, Samson is the one I least identify with! What could I have in common with a big jerk with a huge weakness for the wrong women? Not me?

    After all, I've never wanted my own way . . . I've never ignored the demands of my faith . . . I've never let others down. . .

    opps--never mind . . .

    ReplyDelete