Monday, September 28, 2009

Lying in Wait

Once Samson went to Gaza, where he saw a prostitute and went in to her. The Gazites were told, "Samson has come here." So they circled around and lay in wait for him all night at the city gate. They kept quiet all night, thinking, "Let us wait until the light of the morning; then we will kill him." But Samson lay only until midnight. Then at midnight he rose up, took hold of the doors of the city gate and the two posts, pulled them up, bar and all, put them on his shoulders, and carried them to the top of the hill that is in front of Hebron. Judges 16: 1-3 NRSV

By this time in the story, all of the Philistines are out for Samson. Too bad they remind me of a bunch of silly characters from a comedy; they wait for Samson thinking they will get the best of him but he gets the best of them. Even though the Bible doesn't say this, I believe taking away the two posts and the doors of the city gate probably meant the gate fell on them, crushing them to death.

Certainly, Samson doesn't go sneaking around. He is pretty open about where he goes - and I don't think he could have snuck away carrying some gate posts and doors either. However, I wonder if the Philistines don't have some spies or way of communicating Samson's whereabouts and activities. Was that woman a plant to entice Samson or did that just happen? I am not sure if the Philistines are capable of that much intrigue.

Like the Philistines, I probably think all my activities in my church and community are well thought out and special. But I wonder how silly my actions and plans are to God. And maybe others as well! How often have I hidden in the city gates until morning, hoping to catch the prey when I am defeated by a much stronger and sly foe? Just because I think my plans are brilliant and righteous doesn't mean the enemy knows what I am about and can easily defeat me.

God, sometimes what we plan and do must seem pretty silly to you. We just ask that you deliver us from evil. In Christ's name. Amen.

Question of the day: Do you have any plans that need to be prayed about today?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment