Monday, September 21, 2009

You Do Not Really Love Me

On the fourth day they said to Samson's wife, "Coax your husband to explain the riddle to us, or we will burn you and your father's house with fire. Have you invited us here to impoverish us?" So Samson's wife wept before him, saying, "You hate me; you do not really love me. You have asked a riddle of my people, but you have not explained it to me. " He said to her, "Look, I have not told my father or my mother. Why should I tell you?" She wept before him the seven days that their feast lasted; and because she nagged him, on the seventh day he told her. Then she explained the riddle to her people. Judges 14:15-17 NRSV

The secret of a good marriage: honest communication.

What if Samson's wife had just told him that her people were threatening to burn her and her father's house? Wouldn't Samson had done something then? Instead, she says the worst six manipulative words for any two persons in a relationship: you do not really love me. Then she cries for the rest of her week-long wedding celebration.

It is quite obvious that she does not love Samson. She just wants to make sure she and her family are not killed. She is willing to betray Samson's trust and confidence.

And she won't be the last woman in his life to do so.

God, we pray that we can be open and honest when we talk to you. Thank you for listening. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Question of the day: What are the limits of honesty in communicating with someone you love?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment