Sunday, October 4, 2009

Can You See?

So the Philistines seized him and gouged out his eyes. They brought him down to Gaza and bound him with bronze shackles; and he ground at the mill in the prison. But the hair of his head began to grow again after it had been shaved. Judges 16: 21-22 NRSV

In scripture, physical blindness is often associated with Spiritual blindness - think of Paul on the road to Damascus. Now that the Spirit has left Samson, he is blinded. The once strong and fully capable hero is now a blind, helpless prisoner. But in his weakness, there is hope: his hair begins to grow again. Perhaps this means his life in the Lord is beginning to grow again as well.

Think of a time in your life when you have not been able to "see." Perhaps you were surprised when something happened or someone acted/reacted differently than you expected. Maybe this was before you accepted Christ in your own life. I have often heard folks explain after bad things happened to them through other people that there were "blindsided" (or is it blindsighted?). When this happens, we often feel helpless and somewhat abandoned.

I know that when I am not "right" with God, I can be physically and mentally surprised and often disappointed. The good part of that is when it happens, I know I need to get my life turned around toward God and repair my relationship with the Lord. When I do, my sight returns. God does indeed give sight to the blind.

God, thank you for giving us true sight. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Question of the day: Can you see right now?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment