Saturday, October 31, 2009

Following God's Will

Then they said, "Is there anyone from the tribes of Israel who did not come up to the Lord at Mizpah?" It turned out that no one from Jabesh-gilead had come to the camp, to the assembly.  For when the roll was called among the people, not one of the inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead was there. Judges 21: 8-9 NRSV

Just who is in control here? I don't see a judge, certainly not a king and none of the tribes have shown particular leadership. However, they are in the midst of offering sacrifices to God. In other words, they are asking these questions during worship. I think they are attempting to seek guidance from God. God should be the one in control. But is God truly giving them guidance?

I ask God for guidance on a daily basis. I always want to know what God wills for me each and every day. Of course, that doesn't mean that God either tells me or gives me nudges every day. Nor does this guarantee that I am listening. And I certainly fail on a regular basis to do what God asks. I probably am also asking advice for the wrong things to begin with but I am attempting to follow God.

God want us to follow and God gives us all kinds of clues for where we should be going. We have scripture, nudges or feelings, fellow Christians, the world around us, our brains and our past experiences to give us focus on God's will. But the most important thing for us to ask on a consistent basis is who is really in charge in our lives.

God, what is your will for me? Amen.

Question of the day: Who is really in charge of your life right now?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment