Thursday, October 22, 2009

God's Will or Mine?

The main body of the Israelites drew back it battle line to Baal-tamar, while those Israelites who were in ambush rushed out of their place west of Geba. There came against Gibeah ten thousand picked men out of all Israel, and the battle was fierce. But the Benjaminites did not realize that disaster was close upon them. The Lord defeated Benjamin before Israel; and the Israelites destroyed twenty-five thousand one hundred men of Benjamin that day, all of them armed. Judges 20: 33-35 NRSV

Okay, the Lord defeated the Benjaminites.

With the help of some subterfuge and trickery.

This is not a "clean" battle or one straightforward campaign. This is like a football team that keeps doing the same play again and again so that their opponent expects the same thing to happen. When it doesn't, they are caught unawares and are defeated.

Does this mean God expects me to use some less than straightforward methods to carry out God's will? Is subterfuge an expected spiritual tool? Does God depend on trickery?

I began typing here that I am not comfortable with that but on further thought, I think I do tend to do some of this on an embarrassingly regular basis. Maybe I use more subterfuge that I realize.

The biggest question for me is not concerning the methods but rather for what purpose: am I doing this to carry out God's will or my own?

What is your will for me, God? Please show me! Thanks!

Question of the day: Do you use trickery to get certain outcomes in your life?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment