Tuesday, October 6, 2009

One Act of Revenge

Then Samson called to the Lord and said, "Lord God, remember me and strengthen me only this once, O God, so that with this one act of revenge I may pay back the Philistines for my two eyes." And Samson grasped the two middle pillars on which the house rested and he leaned his weight against them, his right hand on one and his left hand on the other. Then Samson said, "Let me die with the Philistines." He strained with all his might; and the house fell on the lords and all the people who were in it. So those he killed at his death were more than those he had killed during his life. Judges 16: 28-30 NRSV

Okay, so Samson kills more Philistines here at the end of his life. But it was all for the wrong reason! Instead of saying, God let me have my strength back just this once so I can defeat the Philistines for the good of the people of Israel, he asks for revenge on his two eyes!

Self-centered until the end.

But God does grant his request. What's up with that?

That seems to be the main theme throughout the book of Judges: God's power and might have been shown through the actions of some very unusual and (at times) troubling people. God is not limited to the good, just and "normal" folks.

Thanks be to God!

Question of the day: Have you ever asked God for help for the "wrong" reasons? And was your prayer answered?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment