Monday, November 2, 2009

Go And Do Likewise

And they instructed the Benjaminites, saying, "Go and lie in wait in the vinyards, and watch; when the young women of Shiloh come out to dance in the dances, then come out of the vinyards and each of you carry off a wife for himself from the young women of Shiloh, and go to the land of Bejamin. Then if their fathers or brothers come to complain to us, we will say to them, 'Be generous and allow us to have them; because we did not capture in battle a wife for each man. But neither did you incur guilt by giving your daughters to them.' " Judges 21: 20-22 NRSV

Here is a plan: we are two hundred women short for wives for the men of Benjamin so what can we do? Oh, I know! There is that big homecoming game scheduled in a couple of weeks. When the dancers come out on the field, you can run out and kidnap one of them to be your wife. That way, your tribe can be rebuilt plus the families of these girls won't have to worry about them living in sin. We will tell them that it is all okay and just be generous with those dowries!

I just want to say here that there are only two women in this entire book that I would want to be: either Deborah or Jael. And at this point, I am leaning toward Jael and all her tent pegs. I can't believe that, either, because in my last devotional I was speaking against violence. But I can't believe the treatment of the women in the book of Judges. This reminds me that they are considered property not human beings. The only value is in their virginity - then later in their fertility.

This last chapter of this book is just full of wonderful life-applications.

Go and do likewise? I don't think so!

God, I am only seeing the bad stuff here and the great excuses people can make for their actions. What's that? Did you say I am guilty of the same? God, I am truly sorry. Please forgive me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Question of the day: What about the book of Judges made you angry?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment