Friday, November 20, 2009

More Love, Less Anger

The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. Psalm 103: 8 NRSV

God is very different from me.

I am not slow to anger. In fact, I would say I have a trigger-happy temper. Many people blame the color of my hair. However, my adoptive father also has a nice temper which I have seen in action on many occasions. Maybe it is a combination of nature and nurture: a double whammy of the two. Either way, I have a temper that I am more likely to show than love.

I am beginning to wonder if God's ability to be slow in getting angry has to do with the love God has for us. Perhaps because God loves so much, God is less likely to be angry when we mess up. God wants us to be in a loving relationship with God and God knows that can only happen if God shows us love, not anger.

Maybe if my own capacity for love was bigger, I would be less likely to lose my own temper.

Spending time, energy and emotions on love means anger has less room and is less likely to flair.

More love, less anger. Something to strive for. Certainly something to be thankful for when it comes to our Lord and Savior!

God, thank you that you show me endless love rather than anger. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Name one thing you are thankful for in this very moment.

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment