Sunday, November 8, 2009

Thanks for Help

Blessed be the Lord, for he has heard the sound of my pleadings. The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts; so I am helped, and my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.  Psalm 28:6-7 NRSV

Thank you, God, for your help.

Sounds pretty simple. Straightforward. Easy to do.

But how many times do we say that simple prayer?

This psalm reminds us that even the most insignificant things are thanks-worthy. And this verse reminds us that we do often need to keep our thanks simple and focused on the smaller things. God does lots of big, glamorous things in people's lives, including our own. But we can easily overlook the answers we receive to our small pleas. God acts quietly, in the background and we don't often thank God enough for those actions that strengthen our trust in God.

God's smallest actions and efforts can open our hearts and our mouths to being thankful.

God, thank you for hearing my pleas. You are my strength and my shield, in you my heart exults. I trust you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Name one thing you are thankful for in this moment.


Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment