Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What sort of greeting is this?

And he came to her and said, "Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you." But she was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God." Luke 1: 28-30 NRSV

What sort of greeting is this?

An angel of God appears to you and says: "Hey! you are very blessed. God loves you and is with you. You are special in God's eyes!"

What you hear: "I'm a messenger from Almighty God and you have just been chosen to do something for God that is way outside your comfort zone, will probably get you in big trouble and will be extremely painful as well. But, no worries, because God is going to be right be your side the whole time. God has been watching you very carefully since you were born and has seen deeply into your heart and soul. You are the right person for this job and I am here to share what God has in store for you. Your life will never be the same. Don't be scared. Be happy!"

R-I-I-I-G-H-T-T.

Run like you know what. Don't look back.

But wait, Mary simply accepts this and does not back down. I guess God really did know the right person to choose for this awesome responsibility.

God, what are you saying to me right now? What awesome responsibility are you asking me to take on? Amen.

Question of the day: What does God want you to take on?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment