Sunday, January 10, 2010

Assuming the Worst

Yearly Reading: Genesis 36-39

They had the long robe with sleeves taken to their father, and they said, "This we have found; see now whether it is your son's robe or not." He recognized it and said, "It is my son's robe! A wild animal has devoured him; Joseph is without doubt torn to pieces." Genesis 37: 32-33 NRSV

Jacob immediately jumps to a false conclusion saving his other sons from telling a complete lie. They lie by saying that they just found the robe. All they ask is confirmation that the robe belongs to Joseph. It is their father who assumes he is dead.

We all know that the story will turn out fine in the end. In fact, we know that this was part of God's purpose all along. But the scripture reminds us not to assume the worst on face value.

I know I am very good at jumping to conclusions. I am an expert in assuming the worst - the worst of myself or of others. I assume my sermon was the worst I have ever preached. I assume someone is going to get mad or bent out of shape because of something I have done or failed to do. I assume nothing is going to go right.

Then, my assumptions are proven incorrect. After the service, several folks express to me what God revealed to them thanks to my message. No one is mad or bent out of shape; various folks happily step up and do their part. Things continue to go surprisingly right.

No matter what you are facing this day, I invite you to suspend assuming the worst. You never know what blessings God may really have in store for you!

God, we lift up this day to you. Help us to suspend judgment or assumptions. Let us wait for your blessing. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment