Thursday, January 21, 2010

God's People

Yearly Reading: Exodus 31-34

"For how shall it be known that I have found favor in your sight, I and your people, unless you go with us? In this way, we shall be distinct, I and your people, from every people on the face of the earth." Exodus 33: 16 NRSV

Moses has a good point.

God has gotten mad because while Moses is given instructions and details of how the people are to behave, the people are at the foot of the mountain partying and worshipping and idol. God is threatens first to kill everyone, then backs off and just announces that God will no longer be with the people. I can really see how God was right to be extremely angry.

But Moses is also in the right in speaking with God. Moses is doing his best to get God to cool off and think with logic and compassion. Moses is reminding God that these people need God's presence so that they can truly be different from all other people.

How shall we be distinct from everyone else if you refuse to be with us? Moses asks.

Makes me wonder how, knowing that God is with me, I am distinct from everyone else. Can anyone tell that I have found favor in God's sight? Or am I just like everyone else?

What about you?

God, we know you are with us. But can other people see this as well? Help us, Lord, help us. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment