Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Our Own Stubborn Ways!

All who hear the words of this oath and bless themselves, thinking in their hearts, "We are safe even though we go our own stubborn ways" (thus bringing disaster on moist and dry alike) the Lord will be unwilling to pardon them, for the Lord's anger and passion will smoke against him. All the curses written in the book will descend on them, the Lord will blot out their names from under heaven. Deuteronomy 29: 19-20 NRSV

"This doesn't apply to me!"

What a horrible thing to say to yourself in church or any other spiritually led setting.

Yet, how many times have I heard of upstanding church-goers doing appalling things? We are good at keeping our secret lives...well, secret. We keep dark stuff away from prying eyes and think all those rules and regulations don't really apply because no one else knows.

God knows.

You can't hide your deepest secrets from God. God knows your heart. God knows how you really feel. God sees beyond that outward, clean appearance straight into your soul. If you bless yourself without really being honest with God, God will know.

I am not trying to frighten as much as I am trying to remind us all of God's awareness of what we are truly about and who we really are.

God, you know me. The real me. Forgive me. Thank you for loving me and not blotting my name out from under heaven. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment