Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Word of God

Numbers 22-24

Balaam said to Balak, "I have come to you now, but do I have power to say just anything? The word God puts in my mouth, that is what I must say." Numbers 22:38 NRSV

Do you wait for the word that God puts into your mouth? Or are you quick to speak and slow to listen?

Balaam the prophet does not have the power to say just anything. He waits on what God will tell him to say. Not that he is perfect - look at what he did while riding the donkey! So even though he is promised untold riches if he curses the Israelites, Balaam can only do as God instructs.

Are you and I so plugged into God that not even the power of large amounts of money can make us stray and speak whatever comes to mind or is desired to be heard by others? Certainly saying what God wants us to say will create enemies, make us hated and may also lead to suffering. Jesus and his disciples come to my mind here. This is not a comfortable thought. Personally, I like to be admired and well-thought-of but that isn't going to happen if I let God tell me what to say.

Today try to only say what God nudges you to say. Stop yourself before you speak (or facebook/ twitter) only what you want to say. God is more than ready to give you the words. More ready than you are to hear and speak them.

God, you are giving us what we need to say today. Help us to listen and to be your mouthpiece. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment