Sunday, March 28, 2010

Deception on God's Behalf

The Lord said to Jehu, "Because you have done well in carrying out what I consider right, and in accordance with all that was in my heart have dealt with the house of Ahab, your sons of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel." II Kings 10:30 NRSV

From the moment of his anointing, Jehu uses deception as God's instrument of justice:

The killing of the King of Israel on Naboth's former vineyard.

Encouraging the eunichs to throw Jezebel to the ground where the dogs licked up her blood.

Tricking the advisers to kill all 70 of the previous king's sons, then killing all the advisers.

The complete slaughter of the Baal worshippers with the destruction of their temple, after commanding all of them to attend a sacrifice.

How has God asked you to be deceptive on God's behalf in order to bring about justice?

God, although you don't ask me to kill on behalf of justice, you may sometimes ask me to be deceptive. Please guide me, Lord, so that whatever I do is your will not mine. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment