Monday, April 12, 2010

Eyes and Ears of God

Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place. II Chronicles 7:15 NRSV

God appears to Solomon in his dreams after the Temple is completed. It is not some happy news but warnings that God has for Solomon's ears. God gives strict guidelines for both the people and for Solomon as well as the consequences if those rules are broken. God will be listening to their prayers -- but also watching their behavior.

I do want God's ears to hear my prayers-- that goes without saying! But do I really want God's eyes to be open when I pray?

When I pray, I usually close my eyes. My prayers are auditory, whether spoken aloud or to myself. What does it mean, then for God to be watching? Is God looking for something? Perhaps God is looking for the right posture (on my knees head bowed or standing with arms raised)? The right attitude? For some reason I see the visual of Jesus coming into the temple and overturning the tables of the merchants. "My father's house is a house of prayer!" Jesus said. Something was not just sinful about what was happening but it was noticeably, visually abhorrent to God. When have my lips or my mind been busy praying while my body was visually unacceptable to God? What has God been seeing about me that prevents God from being attentive with God's ears when I pray?

God, you not only hear our prayers but your eyes are open to us. Help us to be visually in right relationship with you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment