Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Obedience

Now Esther had not revealed her kindred or her people, as Mordecai had charged her; for Esther obeyed Mordecai just as when she was brought up by him. Esther 2:20 NRSV

Even though she was brought to the King's palace, lived in luxury and seclusion, and chosen as the King's new queen, Esther remains faithful to her adoptive father's instructions. She did not reveal that she was Jewish nor that she was related in any way to Mordecai (her uncle turned father). Esther is as obedient now as she was when she was a child.

I have to confess that my obedience is nothing like Esther's. I do follow the rules but I have this rebellious streak and a very stubborn nature. I was probably fairly obedient as a child. Perhaps I am more obedient these days, but I think I am more obedient to God than to my earthly father.

Yet, it is Esther's obedience that will eventually save her, Mordecai, and all the Jewish people under King Ahasuerus' dominion.

How obedient are you? Were you obedient as a child? Certainly, we want our children to obey us but do we really want to obey others? Do you think you are obedient to God? Why or why not?

God, I am your child. You ask for my obedience. May my obedience to you be as Esther's to Mordecai. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

Check out my newest blog at www.faithinbooks.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment