Friday, May 14, 2010

I Have Sinned

If one does not repent, God will whet his sword; he has bent and strung his bow; he has prepared his deadly weapons, making his arrows fiery shafts. Psalm 7:12 NRSV

If you don't repent, you will become God's target.

Ouch. I am not good at admitting that I have done wrong. I don't like to examine my own sins. I am much better at listening to the faults and foibles of others. I can pronounce God's forgiveness to others who repent but I am the last to admit my own faults.

But if I am to be set apart, holy to the Lord, a follower of Christ Jesus, then I need to first admit that I am a sinner.

Yes, I do sin.

I'm not gloating about it, either. In fact, I will also admit that I can take any one of my faults or sinful behaviors and convince myself and everyone else that that behavior was not actually a sin. I will spend more energy trying to rationalize my sins as non-sins than what it would take to fall to my knees and ask for forgiveness.

This psalm reminds me that God has me in His sight. Although Jesus has died for my sins, God still sees my wrongdoings and is perfectly capable of punishing me. As a follower of Christ, I sometimes forget this and think I am above being reprimanded. I need to know that I can become just as much a target as the next person.

God, forgive me for my sins. I lift up to you these things that I have done wrong: ________________.  Forgive me, God, forgive me. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment