Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Words of My Mouth

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19: 14 NRSV

Psalm 19 is really about God's words. It begins by exclaiming that even nature, although it does not speak with words, proclaims God's creative being. Then it goes on to say that God's laws and scripture should be our guidance and our way all the time. We should not just follow God's words but live out God's words. God's holy commandments keep us from trouble and give us rewards.

But what about our own words? The psalm ends with this verse, emphasizing that our own words need to be in tune with all creation and scripture. And the best way to do this is to make sure our hearts, our inner most being, rests on God alone as our source of strength and stability.

I pray this verse right before I preach every Sunday. I find that it gives me focus and reminds me that my words are not just words but need to be pure and acceptable to God. My inner being also needs to be in tune with the Almighty -- it is not just words but my attitude that should be acceptable.

Perhaps I need to pray this prayer every time I am about to open my mouth because my speech and my heart certainly are far from God's acceptance much of the time outside the pulpit!

How often is your attitude/heart acceptable in God's sight? How often are your words based upon God as your rock and redeemer?

God, may the words of our mouths and the meditations of our hearts be acceptable to you, O Lord, our rock and our redeemer. In Jesus' name. Amen.


Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment