Several thoughts in my head concerning this passage:
- hands of a master or mistress: does this entail punishment, i.e. a slap for doing wrong?
- looking at a person's hands means that you are lower than they are, at least to some extent
- the visualization here is someone on their knees, kissing the master's/mistress' hand
- if you look at someones hands, you can't be looking at their eyes: sign of shame
- if you look at someones hands, you can't be looking at their eyes: sign of subservience
- until God has mercy: how long is the servant/slave bowing before their superior?
God, we come before you to entreat you for mercy. Have mercy on us, O Lord, have mercy upon us! In Jesus' name. Amen.
Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims