Thursday, June 10, 2010

In return for my love they accuse me, even while I make prayer for them. Psalm 109:4 NRSV

We are to pray for our enemies.

How?

My prayers would be all about how my enemies need to listen to God, do better, stop sinning, and generally end up seeing the world as I do. I want God to make my enemies more like me.

But is that really how we are to pray?

Is it not more powerful to pray God's blessings on your enemies? To pray for God's protection for them? To pray that they come to know God more deeply and fully? To pray that they have a right relationship with God (rather than a relationship just like mine)?

The psalmist is being attacked while praying for these same people. The psalmist loves the attackers even while they falsely accuse the one who is praying and loving.

Reminds me of the guy who was being killed for something he didn't do and asked God to forgive his attackers. Interestingly enough, what this guy did actually ended up saving those who killed him. They accused him in return for his love and his prayers.

Are we not to do the same?

God, I pray for my enemies today. I name them to you and lift them to you. I do not pray for their demise or their suffering. I pray for their redemption and for your blessings to fall upon them. May I forgive them even as you forgive me. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment