Saturday, June 26, 2010

Taking Responsibility

One's own folly leads to ruin, yet the heart rages against the Lord. Proverbs 19:3 NRSV

I love how Proverbs really has some good insight about human nature. Sometimes I think it hits too close to home!

This verse is a perfect example. How many of us (me included) do stupid or thoughless things, get in trouble for them, then sit around trying to blame God for all of it? I mean, shouldn't God have warned us? Stepped in and done something to help? Prevented us from failing? God, where were you?

Well, God was there all the time. It was ourselves who were out of our minds! How come we have a hard time accepting responsibility for our actions?

Take speeding for example. I am sure most of us at one time or another have gotten caught speeding. But what did we try to do? Well, we tried to get out of it. Pleading, tears, arguing, explanations -- we have used them all... right? Who among us has simply said, "Yes, officer, I was speeding. I admit the fact that I broke the law and will accept the punishment." In fact, after being handed the ticket, we probably fussed at God for "allowing" us to get caught! Not a single one of us probably admitted to God that, yes, we had done wrong and must accept the punishment even when we have no money to pay it.

Now I do admit there are situations in our lives where we might have made some mistakes but others also made mistakes. I am not saying to take all the blame on ourselves. I am saying we must be honest with ourselves and admit those things that we have done wrong.

Proverbs reminds us to take responsibility for our actions without trying to blame God.

God, we are so sorry to blame you when we are the foolish ones. Forgive us, we pray. Help us to admit to you when we have made mistakes. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment