Friday, June 18, 2010

Teach me to do your will

Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. Let your good spirit lead me on a level path. Psalm 143:10 NRSV

I am always asking for God's guidance and discernment in my daily life. However much I ask for this guidance, I can't say that I am so good about following God's will.

That is why I really like this verse. The psalmist is asking God to teach them to do God's will. It isn't about following God's will as being instructed how to follow God's will. "Teach me, guide me," the psalmist requests, "so that I can walk on a level road."

In order to do God's will for our lives, we must first be taught how to follow God. We have to learn how to follow the Spirit. This is not something that comes naturally to us. We aren't born with the instinct to follow the Spirit. We must learn to do so, possibly using some trial and error on the way.

What is it that you think you need to learn in order to stay on the path that God has placed before you?

How well have you followed God's will in the past?

What lessons have you learned? Is there anything you could teach or share with other followers along the way?

Don't keep the lessons you have learned to yourself! You may be the instructor God has sent to others in your family or faith community.

God, you want us to follow you. Yet, we must be taught how to do so. Send your instructions to us through others we encounter. Help us to pass on what we have learned to others as well. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment