Monday, June 28, 2010

Tomorrow

Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. Proverbs 27:1 NRSV

This verse hits close to home.

You see, I am making plans to meet some relatives that I have only talked to through facebook and email. I am very excited but also a bit nervous. I am so focused on this upcoming event that everything else around me seems to pale in comparison. But this verse is a real wake-up call.

Even though I have boasted about my upcoming trip on facebook, I don't know what even tomorrow will be like. I need to focus on the here and now. Certainly I can make plans. However, I need to stop going on and on about this future trip. How do I know I will be able to make it? I am praying that it will happen. But I am not in control of the future. God is.

And that is the point of this verse.

We cannot truly know what this very day will bring. Only God has that power to see into the future, to know for certain what will happen. It is God, not humans, who are in control of tomorrow.

Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

May God bless you this day!

Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment