Monday, July 26, 2010

Fear Prosperity

Today's reading: Jeremiah 30-33

And this city shall be to me a name of joy, a praise and a glory before all the nations of the earth who shall hear of all the good that I do for them; they shall fear and tremble because of all the good and all the prosperity I provide for it.  Jeremiah 33:9 NRSV

I can understand being fearful of a God who kills and destroys. But a God who does good? Would I be afraid of that kind of God?

I guess I would if that were not my god! If those folks over there have a God who provides joy, good and prosperity and that isn't the god whom I worship, then I would be afraid. Afraid that I was worshiping the wrong god.  Afraid that I was missing out on the joy and blessing. Afraid that I was not a part of something good, something that every nation on earth was talking about. I would tremble, too.

One difference that I see in how Muslims and Christians differ in their concept of God is that Allah tends to be a punishing god, rather than a god of blessing and promise. Allah seems to be interested in being followed by those who use violence and destruction. Of course, you could say that there seems to be some violence and death in the Christian Bible. But I think, with the death and resurrection of Jesus, God does not expect us to use violence and killing. Instead, God wants us to be loving. God wants us to act toward one another as servants. God wants us to turn the other cheek rather than beat on another up.

What kind of God do you worship?

God, you want to give us joy, good and prosperity. We want to give you praise and glory as well as be seen as those who follow you. Help us all, Lord. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment