Wednesday, July 7, 2010

God Saves

Surely God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid, for the Lord God is my strength and my might; he has become my salvation. Isaiah 12: 2 NRSV

Surely it is God who saves me, I will trust in him and not be afraid. For the Lord is my stronghold and my sure defense and he will be my savior! These are the words of one of my favorite songs taken from this verse. What powerful words to sing in a time of crisis or even every day!

One of the mistakes that the rulers of Israel and Judah made in Isaiah's time was not to trust in God. Instead, they put their trust in gold, riches and, most devastatingly, in foreign powers. They were unable to see that it would be only God who could save them. They did not trust in God -- perhaps they did not fear God as they should have. They used every means to save themselves available to them -- accept for the one that was the most powerful and important: God.

Do you trust God? I mean, really trust God? Or do you try to solve your own problems and trust in people, money or things?

I say I trust God. But I find myself doing a lot of stuff to make things happen or prevent things from happening. Certainly, God wants me to act and not just stand around. But in my actions, do I trust that God is truly working in the world and that God is going to provide according to God's will?

It is easier to say or sing that God is our savior and sure defense than it is to act like it.

God, you save me. I trust you Lord, and I know in that trust I will not be afraid. You are my stronghold and my sure defense. You are my savior. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment