Friday, July 2, 2010

Let your words be few

Never be rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be quick to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven, and you upon earth; therefore let your words be few. Ecclesiastes 5: 2 NRSV

Can you keep your mouth shut?

Can you resist not posting a comment on facebook?

If you can, then good for you!

I am of the group that usually speaks before thinking, then spends hours rehashing the conversation. I don't think I delete my comments on social media as often as I should, either. And I wish I could sound so caring and pastoral as my husband.

He thinks before he opens his mouth, however.

This verse not only tells us not to speak (or write) rashly but to remember why we should hesitate before opening our mouths and our hearts. This is because God is listening. And it is God who truly judges our speech.

I suppose this changes things a bit. What if I imagine God being part of every conversation I have? What if there is no privacy with God on facebook? Will I be so eager to speak and type if God is paying close attention to what I am saying? And will my words be different if God is listening?

Would this make a difference in your speech as well?

God, you are listening, reading, knowing what is on our hearts and coming our of our mouths. Help us to be more aware and to be content with keeping our mouths shut. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment