Sunday, August 29, 2010

Don't Devise Evil

Today's reading: Zechariah 1-7

Do not oppress the widow, the orphan, the alien or the poor; and do not devise evil in your hearts against one another. Zechariah 7: 10 NRSV

How do I oppress the widow?

What do I do to help the orphan?

Do I help the alien?

How often do I truly help the poor?

And when have I devised evil in my heart against others?

My first response is: I have helped the less fortunate and have not devised evil in my heart against other people.

But have I? Do I really help the less fortunate? It is easy to say my tax dollars or the money I tithe at church go to help many unfortunates. But even Ebenezer Scrooge could say the same before he was visited by the four spirits.

I think I have not devised evil in my heart...unless it has to do with those in politics. They are easy targets. And yes, everyone else thinks ill of them as well. But if God really wants me to do such strange things as pray for my enemies, then I better be careful when I open my mouth to put down someone who doesn't share my own political leanings. Whether they are in the wrong or not, when I speak against them I come to hate them and my hatred becomes evil in my heart. Just one more step from acting on such evil.

My next response is: God, help me to not oppress those less fortunate than me and prevent me from devising any evil in my heart. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment