Monday, August 9, 2010

It is Mine!

Today's Reading: 29-32

...and the land of Egypt shall be a desolation and a waste. Then they shall know that I am the Lord. Because you said, "The Nile is mine, and I made it...." Ezekiel 29: 9 NRSV

Boy, does this sound like a toddler or what?

"The Nile is mind and I made it!" says Pharaoh.

What boasting, what gall, what incredible self-centeredness!

Pharaoh should have realized two things:

1) The Nile is not really his but belongs to God.

2) Pharaoh is not the creator of the Nile. God is.

In this day and age of ownership and copyright, science and full disclosure, we tend to think in these terms. This is my house, I bought it. This is my car, I restored it. This is my child, I gave her birth. I own it. I made it. It is mine.

God wants us to see the world around us from a different perspective: God is the rightful owner (no matter who holds the deed) and the true creator (makes no difference if you take the first two chapters of the bible literally or not).

God says, "No, it is actually all mine. But I give it to you for your use and enjoyment. Take care of it and I will take care of you!"

Thank you, God! Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment