Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Slow to Anger?

Today's reading: Nahum

The Lord is slow to anger but great in power, and the Lord will by no means clear the guilty. His way is in whirlwind and storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet. Nahum 1: 3 NRSV

God is slow to anger but great in power.

I guess that means it takes a lot to make God angry, but you better watch out when you do!

I suppose I assume that Christ will take away my guilt and prevent God from being angry. However, as a person who is easily angered, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that concept. The question that is always in the back of my mind is: Can Jesus really keep God from being so angry with me?

I certainly hope so and I have to trust that is so. That does not stop me from worrying about it from time to time.

Nahum's words are against he city of Nineveh, the same city that Jonah preached to several days ago. Nineveh's wickedness is so great that even God who is slow to anger is livid. Because God is also extremely powerful, that city had better watch out! The guilty will not be cleared. Even nature, which might seem out of the realm of God, is going to be God's instrument of judgment and punishment.

I really hesitate to think and speak of nature as God's arm of judgment and punishment. Certainly more than nature is about to attack Nineveh. I continue to struggle with God's nature that could be so vengeful as we see here in the Old Testament.

God, we want to see you as ultimately forgiving and merciful. What should we do with these images of you as a vengeful God? Help us! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment