Friday, August 6, 2010

You Shall Surely Live

Today's reading: Ezekiel 17-20

But if the wicked turn away from all their sins that they have committed and keep all my statutes and do what is lawful and right, they shall surely live; they shall not die. Ezekiel 18:21 NRSV

It is interesting that the most popular musical these days is entitled "Wicked." Now I admit I have not seen it but I have heard the music. Nor have I read the book it is from. However, I find it ironic and a bit concerning that a musical with the name of "badness" is that popular.


In Ezekiel, God is promising retribution on those who have been wicked, but only on their own behalf. So, if they repent and return to God, God will forgive and have mercy on them. They will then live and not die.
I want to live. Don't you?

What sins have you committed? I am thinking of all mine right now. And I do have several!

Are we doing what is right? What is lawful? I mean, are we loving God with all that we are and loving our neighbors as ourselves?

Hmmm....maybe. Maybe not.

God, forgive us for all our sins. We list those that come to mind right here and now: ________________________________________________________________________________.
In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.


Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment