Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Betraying Jesus

Today's reading: John 10-13

After saying this Jesus was troubled in spirit and declared, "Very truly, I tell you, one of you will betray me." John 13:21 NRSV

Not me, Lord, I would never betray you.

I would never cause your spirit to be troubled.

Well, there was that one time.

But other than that I have been your faithful follower.

Besides the time I got really angry at you. You know I did. I got over my anger. That was just a tiny lapse.

And when I was younger Lord, you know how misguided I could be. I was just trying to be liked by others. That doesn't count because...well, because...I was young. Right?

It isn't like when I have ignored you. I did that a lot when my career was taking off. I haven't really betrayed you, have I?  Ignoring is not really betraying, is it? Isn't ignoring more like denial...kind of like Peter rather than Judas.

Which, of course, is better. Right?

Betraying Jesus is just not in my vocabulary or my makeup ... most of the time.


God, help us not to continue to deny when we have turned from Jesus for personal gain. And forgive us Lord, forgive us. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment