Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sometimes I Hate Being a Pastor

Today's reading: John 15

"If you belonged to the world, the world would love you as its own. Because you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world - therefore the world hates you."  John 15:19 NRSV

Sometimes I hate being a pastor. When trying to befriend parents of our son's classmates I always have a feeling they would rather be friends with anyone but me. When a stranger or new acquaintance asks what I do for a living, I can either silence them quickly or cause them to erupt with a spiritual monologue. I sometimes have a hard time balancing being myself with being a pastor. When does one end and the other begin?

I don't say that the world hates me but I think it does have a general dislike or avoidance when I walk into a room.

Jesus said that if we belonged to the world (the world being Satan's kingdom), the world would love us.

But Jesus has chosen us. He has taken us out of the world. This makes Satan and the world hateful toward us.

And that is what keeps me from throwing in the towel. Knowing that I have been chosen. That God called me to ministry. That I am doing as God wants me to do, not as the world wants me to do.

You too are called and chosen. Live as God's own.

God, thank you for calling us out of the world and claiming us for your own. We praise your glorious name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment