Monday, November 15, 2010

Planning Ahead

Today's reading: James 4

Yet, you do not even know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. James 4: 14 NRSV

I find this verse a bit depressing. I'm a mist that appears for a little while then vanishes? Not very promising. Yet, it does remind me that the world does not revolve around me. It is a humbling verse.

What it means is that I am not in control. Boasting about what I may do or not do in the future (as it says in the proceeding verse) is simply not of God. I don't think it means not to plan ahead but perhaps to add the phrase: if the Lord wills it. It is all about accepting the fact that you and I are not in control; God is.

So, what are your plans for today and tomorrow? Next week? Christmas holidays? 2011? Perhaps you and I should spend some time praying about our immediate and distant futures.

God, we have such plans for our future! Whether it is for this very day or the next year, we sometimes believe that it is up to us to carry out these plans. We forget that you are the one in control. We overlook the understanding of your will. We do not trust your plans for us, plans for our welfare and not for harm, to give us a future with hope. Forgive us, Lord. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment